[Ansteorra] the old days

Susan Tillery sutillery at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 15 16:16:50 PDT 2009

I don't remember drums.

I do remember stories and singing to the wee hours of the night: Finn Kelly's "Rocky Road to Dublin", Ivar's golden tenor, lots of Childe ballads.  I remember dancing to William BlackFox's pipes.  If he started playing, they would draw me from whatever I was doing no matter how far away.

 Yes gauze dresses, lots of cotton.  Clothing made from curtain fabric bought on sale and preshrunk in the washing machine.  It seemed personas were mostly early or late dressed on viking or Celtic t-tunics trimmed with braid or Renaissance finery. There was a real attempt to create and play a persona game. Hand kissing was common, as was speaking forsoothly, courtesy and flowery words.

There were road trips from one end of the kingdom to another. Small revels held in between.  Carpet armor,  armoring Workshops so we could learn to make knees, elbows and helms.   We helped each other set up tents, carry things. ,here were Tiki torches lighting the camps, party areas made of rugs and pillows and the occasional parachute canopy.

AEla