[Ansteorra] Fwd: [Lochac] [Fwd: Paleontologist discovers 3-D secrets of Middle Age designs of Kells' 'angels']

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 18 20:59:43 PDT 2009

I thought some of the illuminators or even folks just interested in
medieval manuscripts might be interested in this which I saw on the
Lochac list.

My eyes hurt just imagining trying to do this though.
Stefan
--------
The Book of Kells and similarly illustrated manuscripts of seventh- and
eighth-century England and Ireland are known for their entrancingly
intricate artwork -- geometric designs so precise that in some places
they contain lines less than half a millimeter apart and nearly
perfectly reproduced in repeating patterns -- leading a later scholar to
call them "works not of men, but of angels."

But behind the artwork's precision is a mystery: How did illustrators
refine the details, which rival the precision of engravings on a
modern dollar bill, centuries before microscope lenses were invented?

http://tinyurl.com/quljb4

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com