[Ansteorra] Fencers in the sandbox-

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 19:01:22 PDT 2010

Good evening to the lists,

Many of you know my husband, Ioannes Dalassenos (MKA Staff Sgt. John
Atkinson) is currently deployed to Afghanistan.  Due to logistical and
safety concerns, he is currently not heavy fighting, nor is he likely
to in the next several months to a year.

However, all is not lost.  He has discovered the fun that is fencing.

Khandahar Air Field, or KAF, has a small but dedicated group of
fencers.  They run on a shoestring and fence with what they can
scrounge up.  This is all good stuff, but there's a minor problem now.
 Ioannes is being moved from the Large Air Field, to a Small Combat
Outpost.  I don't know where, exactly, but I do know it's not within
an easy drive to KAF, which means that Ioannes will be buttonholing
his soldiers to fence with him.  Four or five of his guys have tried
it and have said they'd like to keep going, but after leaving KAF,
they'll be without *any* spare loaner gear.  Ioannes has a complete
kit, either on the ground with him or on its way to him.  However,
that leave him short fencing stuff for his guys.

Basically, he's looking for donations of blades, masks, and gorgets.
Gloves they have in spades.  Any and all equipment donated to his
Soldiers would go back to KAF when he redeploys to the United States,
to beef up the loaner supplies there and possibly kit out any other
fencers who might be on the way to any other Small Combat Outpost.

These guys are just learning how to do this.  They're not cadets, or
white scarves and aren't looking for brand-new spiffy gear.  They're
just looking for a way to blow off a little steam and have some fun.

If you can help, please contact me at soldier.grrrl at gmail.com, or find
me at Bryn Gwlad's PiP.  I can either provide you with a shipping
address, or can pick up things from you to ship.

I realize these are tough times, and that we're all a little pinched
in the wallet, but anything you can do to help would be greatly
appreciated.

In service to my country and to the Dream,
Helene Dalassene
(MKA Sgt. Jennifer D. Atkinson)

--
Blonde.  It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/