[Ansteorra] Secret of Kells movie - at a theater near you

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Tue Apr 6 09:30:16 PDT 2010

In my opinion, this is a must see for scribes, so I am spreading the word.

There is an excellent *Academy Award nominated* animated motion
picture coming to theaters for a limited time release that I am
encouraging folks to go see.

Plot synopsis (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Kells )

The story is set in the ninth century. Twelve-year-old Brendan is
educated by his uncle, Abbot Cellach, who holds a firm grip on his
nephew and expects him to follow in his footsteps. One day, Brendan
meets Brother Aidan, a master illustrator who shows him the beauty of
art and stimulates his creativity and fantasy. Finally, Brendan
decides to break free in search of his dream: completing the valuable
Book of Kells. On his journey through the forest, he has to face his
biggest fears.

Also, the movie has a website up at: http://www.thesecretofkells.com/

This is an incredibly beautiful but simple animation style that still
conveys the awesomeness of Celtic style.

It is only playing for a week (or less) at each theater. Here are the
theaters in Ansteorra where it is going to be showing (information
from The Secret of Kells official Facebook page):

Opening April 9
Houston, TX - Angelika Film Center, Houston
Oklahoma City, OK - OKC Museum of Art (weekend only)

Opening April 16
Dallas, TX - Angelika Film Center, Dallas

Opening May 7
Austin, TX - Landmark Dobie
Ft. Worth, TX - Museum of Modern Art (May 5-10 only)

TBA - coming soon
San Antonio, TX

I am arranging an SCA movie outing for the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex
on the weekend it is here (4/16-18). If anyone is interested in going
with us, please contact me privately. If you're in another city where
it is coming, this is a great opportunity to organize an outing of
your own.

Sharing the excitement,

Duncan Hepburn
Star Signet Herald and all around scribal geek