[Ansteorra] New Crowns and Coronets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 23:51:48 PDT 2010

> Whether they were hot blued or cold (chemically) blued I can't say.
> I do seem to recall Inman telling me they used chemical bluing
> sometimes (we talked about gun bluing kits specifically), but I'm
> pretty sure he used a more period hot bluing process for helms &
> stuff...
>
> Either way, the bluing could be why we don't see those Crowns. Blued
> finishes can be rust magnets if they aren't oiled a LOT...
>
> ~ Kat

I believe the main reason for "blueing" or similar treatments of metal
is as a rust preventative. So I'm rather surprised to hear you say you
find that they are rust magnets.

And for those who might be wondering, "blueing" and similar processes
were done in period, including for armor.

In the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
a-treating-msg    (27K)  1/15/97    Surface treatments for armor.
Blackening.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/a-treating-msg.html

The armor of the "Black Knight" was treated this way.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com