[Ansteorra] At Stargate/Loch Baronial

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 07:28:56 PDT 2010

Greetings Ansteorra

Are you looking forward to King’s College and all the exciting classes
that will be offered?  Perhaps, you just can’t wait until June.  If
so, you will want to stop by our Artisan’s Pavilion at Stargate/Loch
Baronial.  We will be offering two classes, perhaps more.  All
artisans of any skill level are welcome to stop by and visit, even if
you aren’t taking a class with us.  We will be providing an area where
you may visit with other artisans and work your projects if you will.

Look for the red and white pavilion with the rose painted on the roof,
near the list field.  The classes that will be offered this event are
as follows:

Woodworking for Embroiderers, part of the "Mortise and Tenons with
Haraldr" Series.
Instructor: Haraldr Basse
In this day long class, students with no prior woodworking knowledge
or experience required, will build themselves a medieval embroidery
frame using only period hand tools. Throughout our medieval time
frame, the embroidery frame is remarkably similar in almost every
period. At its simplest, it is two boards with two mortises that are
sized to the second pair of boards to be used as tension adjusters.
Students will hand cut their mortise holes using chisels after laying
out their piece using squares and marking gauges. Once the mortises
are cut, small holes will be placed on the tension sticks so that the
frame can be adjusted to fit the needs of the piece.
Period embroidery frames are depicted in many illuminations, from
small lap frames circa 16"x24" through wall leaning frames measured in
feet and allowing multiple workers to stitch at the same time. We will
be making a lap frame.
Due to the need for the instructor to watch fingers and such near the
very sharp tools, the class will be limited to four or five active
participants. Observers are more than welcome and encouraged. This is
very much a hands on class with absolutely no prior knowledge required
in order to participate. There is a materials fee of $10. Class will
start circa 10am with breaks as needed. A very brief handout is
available.

Learn how to Sew with Leather
Teacher: HL Czina Angielczyka, current Kingdom Artisan
See how leather was sewn together historically and learn basic
techniques. Look at examples of both functional and decorative
stitching, and learn when and where they were used. Hand's on
experience in some of the techniques.
Supplies: Scraps of leather and needles will be available for practice
stitching - $5.00 for a set of harness needles and a glover's needle
to take with you. Other tools like awls and stitching wheels will be
available for use, as well.
Class will start circa 10am with breaks as needed though this is
easily a 'drop-in class' - where people can stop by, see the examples,
and then learn, while other people are working.  Bibliography will be
available and possibly a handout.

If you aren’t able to make this event and would like to participate,
please look for us at other events, as our schedules allow, with more
classes.  If you have a class that you would like to teach, or have
taught at your event, please let us know and we will see what we can
do!

If you have any questions, please contact HL Alexandria Doyle at
garbaholic at gmail.com.

--
So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…