[Ansteorra] medieval people knowing the symobolism of animals

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Fri Apr 16 22:01:25 PDT 2010

I don't want to disagree with Emma but as  a student of medieval art the symbols of the animals and plants were well know. The church taught them. People didn't know how to read books but they knew how to read pictures. The fly in the picture of the Mother and child isn't a conceit by the artist. It is a statement that sin is everywhere. The peacock wasn't a sign of vanity but of the all seeing eye of God and the church.
Because people couldn't read the church used the pictures to teach and reinforce lessons.
when my book get out of their boxes I will give you some find examples.
As I remember the unicorn stands for Christ. Oh I am old and can't remember.
willow