[Ansteorra] What we are fanstasy vs history

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Apr 18 10:24:57 PDT 2010

First of all
We in Ansteorra have always set our own standards. We read the corpora and believed in studying history. But that didn't mean we didn't have fun or did not have fantasy. We discovered that people in History had good times and played at fantasy. The Round Table tournaments proved that along with the Masques and Fetes and Carnival and festivals all through the year. The May day festivals with Robin Hood.
People of the past were just in love with escapism as we were. The full size Dragon going across the hall at the "Feast of Pleas ants" in the 15Th century. They dressed up and played at fantasy all the time.
In Early Ansteorra we had "under the Hill" events all the time and quests that took us to many magical places.
I think we have lost our way because we have began to equate "the study of History" to writing five pages of Documentation.
Yes, I am a Laurel and YES I said that. One of the main purposes of the SCA is to learn and teach people about our time period. In the beginning we believe the important thing was for individuals to acquire knowledge. If I know Romanesques painting and you do a good Romanesques painting and I talk to you and you show me that you know what you know Why should I ask you to write a 5 page paper stating what we both know. It is redundant.
But if you do something or find something that is not common knowledge then a paper is needed and should be put in a library so everyone can expand their knowledge.
Many people have come to Ansteorra seeking to find out  why Ansteorra has so much Art and Science and it was this way of looking at things that cause it. We do history and Art because we find it fun.
It is my old fashioned belief that if we go back to doing History and Art and Science our old way and stop trying to fit in the rest of SCA we will enjoy our group more. I know I will.
If we can't start doing all the time could we do that off and on????
willow de wisp Ancient member