[Ansteorra] Honoring Branywn with wall hanging or tromple

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Apr 18 11:35:04 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone this is Willow who learned the Art of Wall hangings and Tromple at the feet of Mistress Branywn.
I have one of the Green Book of Branywn and I will impart some of its knowledge.
First rule
Use it up. Don't let things go to waste. Don't get too fancy.
Mistress Brandwyn taught me to keep cost down. She used many kinds of Fabric to make wall hanging. She bought curtains with period brocades to make those wonderful full achievements.
She was very good at Heraldic Art. I had a book I got from her that showed how to shade the animals and things. She did Heraldic art in the late 16Th century style.
Doing your full achievement would be something she would had loved to see.
A full achievement is you arms, supporters and helm, mantling and stuff. Go to a Heraldry book to see one and go to your local Herald to see what your rank allows you. Or go to your favorite muck a muck and do one for Him or  Her. They would love it and they have so much stuff.Then you can work in all the awards and stuff.
For example a Lady of the Rose can have a Wreath of Roses and a Pelican can have a Wreath of feather. Duchess Conal Wreath could be feathers and Roses and one or both of her Supporters could have white scarfs on them.
Please talk to the Heralds because Mistress Branwyn knew her heraldry and would not enjoy improper heraldry.
The mantling is the fabric thing that comes off the Helmet. There is a site that talks about painting ferns on period plates by a Mistress Somebody. I had it on the computer that was stolen. The shading of the ferns is the same that you will use on you wall hanging. I will try to find it and post it.
Remember in scroll work you go from light to dark building color up and in wall hangings and wood, walls, plates, boxes you will put dark down and add highlights with light.
Mistress Branwyn loves wet on wet shading.
2ND rule
Never, Never use Black from the tube. It kills the color. Mix your black
I don't know if this true but she believed it. She walk away from judging a painting muttering about black from a tube and if you don't want her ghost muttering at you I would mix your black. I use a dark blue and a dark brown.
I will ramble on sometime later. I am tired
willow (one of Branwyn's students)