[Ansteorra] 15th-century barrel helm

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 15:34:48 PDT 2010

Could someone describe to me the defining characteristics of a 15th-
century barrel helm?  That's listed on the registration form as our
default for heraldic achievements <http://herald.ansteorra.org/
achievements/Achievementform061002.pdf>, but the returns on a Google
search for the "15th century" and "barrel helm" all seem to say
things like, "The Barrel Helm was the very large helmet used in 13th
century," "The. . .barrel helm, of the High Middle Ages arose in the
late twelfth century in the context of the crusades and remained in
use until the fourteenth century," and, "Used in the 13th Century,
Barrel helms were a necessity for men at arms," and where photos of
original or recreated barrel helms are presented, the dates given for
them are similar.  So I'm having a little trouble figuring out what a
"15th-century barrel helm" looks like.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>