[Ansteorra] Powdered Ink?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 20 20:47:40 PDT 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Ian Dun Gillan wrote:
> If you are going to experiment with these period pigments I would
> recommend
> going the distance and actually using cut quills from the primary
> feathers
> of geese or chicken to use as pens.

Just in case some folks might be interested. In the same Florilegium
SCRIBAL ARTS section I mentioned in another message:
quills-msg (20K) 11/29/02 Making quill pens. Pen knives.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCRIBAL-ARTS/quills-msg.html

    (I'd love to have a how-to article on cutting quills)

> Also go ahead if you can afford it and
> get some goat or sheep skin parchment so that you can get the full
> effect.
> If you do this you will want to prepare the parchment with a
> smoothing stone
> and some pounce. It is not at all like writing on paper and should be
> practiced many times before any serious work is attempted.

parchment-msg (62K) 1/16/08 Making and buying parchment. substitutes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCRIBAL-ARTS/parchment-msg.html

> Ian Dun Gillan
> Some time Cartographer

I have one small file on period maps and copies. maps-msg . I'd love
more information on period map making (cartography) and tools.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com