[Ansteorra] Hacked Account

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tue Apr 27 08:09:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:58:49AM -0500, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Dana Busenbark <danab-steppes at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >Spammers like to make things look like you sent it out, including to
> >yourself. If your email is posted anywhere to the net, they will
> >snag it and use it.
>
> The technical term is "joe job".
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job> explains
>
>     A joe job is a spamming technique that sends out unsolicited
>     e-mails using spoofed sender data. Early joe jobs aimed at
>     tarnishing the reputation of the apparent sender or inducing the
>     recipients to take action against him (see also e-mail spoofing),
>     but they are now typically used by commercial spammers to conceal
>     the true origin of their messages. ...
>
>     The name "joe job" originated from such a spam attack on Joe Doll,
>     webmaster of Joe's Cyberpost. One user's joes.com account was
>     removed due to advertising through spam. In retaliation, the user
>     sent another spam with the "reply-to" headers forged to make it
>     appear to be from Joe Doll. [1] Besides prompting angry replies,
>     it also caused joes.com to fall prey to denial-of-service attacks
>     that took the web site down temporarily. ...

Daniel is correct, as is Dana.

On the Other (or gripping) Hand,

I am seeing considerable concern about cracked/hacked accounts on a closed
maillist I subscribe to, for mail administrators of large organizations.
It appears on first inspection that Gmail (and other) accounts are being
cracked and used to send spam, as distinct from joe-jobs. It is not yet
clear whether this is being facilitated by snooping of cellular or wireless
data from various smartphones (iPhones, Blackberries, etc.), but the
conjecture is leading generally in that direction.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO