[Ansteorra] (no subject)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Apr 1 13:14:33 PDT 2010

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Elisabeth B. Zakes <kitharis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 13:55, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> ldyinnes at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/[characters redacted]/[characters redacted]
>>
>> Commercial spam: it's a pharmaceutical Web site.
>
> Just FYI to all who send [legitimate] links, I delete messages with
> links unread if the poster doesn't include a "what this link is
> about," and maybe even a summary for those of us who can't get to it
> from work. I suspect others may do the same. Better safe than sorry.

I do the same.  This time, I only decided to check because it looked
like it could be from a real subscriber, and I could visit it with
little fear of damage (a Linux system owned by someone else, a
text-mode browser, apparently without JavaScript or other scripting).

I want a summary of a URL for several reasons:
* I too want to know what it's about before clicking
* It can sometimes give some assurance that it's legit, or more often
   assurance that it's bogus
* I may want to be able to later find it in the archives, and "This is
   a site with efficient techniques and tools for making riveted
   mail" is a lot easier to find than just "Check out
   http://tinyurl.invalid/whatnot"

Dankyn de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com