[Ansteorra] What is Honor?

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Fri Apr 16 08:24:52 PDT 2010

I was curious if I could find any representations of the virtues as
animals.  I tried doing some research.  This site had a fascinating
though long discussion of animals representing theological virtues etc.

http://bestiary.ca/etexts/evans1896/evans%20-%20animal%20symbolism%20in%20ecclesiastical%20architecture.pdf

An excerpt:

Virtues and vices are often figured by women contending for victory, and
bearing
shields on which are inscribed their names or emblems, as, for example,
the twelve
virtues and twelve vices in the cathedral at Amiens; sometimes they are
riding on
animals, as in the miniatures of a manuscript in the Musée de Cluny
dating from the
fourteenth century. Here Humility is mounted on a panther, Chastity on a
unicorn;
Patience or Christian Resignation wears a helmet adorned with a swan,
because this
fowl sings with its dying breath like the martyrs; Love bears a pelican
on her shield;
Devotion rides an ibex, the symbol of aspiration and perseverance, owing
to its
fondness for high altitudes and its climbing power, and has a phoenix on
her shield to
signify the renewing [154] virtue of fervid piety; Pride has an eagle on
her shield,
because this bird discards those of her young which cannot endure the
fierce light of the
sun, as a haughty spirit despises the meek and lowly; on the shield of
Lust is a siren,
whose sweet song allures men to their destruction.

On the seven Knightly virtues I found an interesting article by a Count
Sir Garick von Kopke at
/http://www.chronique.com/Library/Chivalry/garick1.htm

/On Honor He says:

*HONESTY*

"/Fals swerynge and vntrewe othe / be not in them that mayntene thordre
of chyulary/"^3
<http://www.chronique.com/Library/Chivalry/garick1.htm#footnote%203>

/Honesty and Honor are and always have been tied together with bonds
that cannot be broken.  Indeed Honesty and Honor are from the same root
word (Latin, Honus) and a man who would have Honor must have Honesty. /

/In the SCA a man's word is his bond. This is as it should be. All
people should guard against swearing lightly, as what is sworn must be
done. So also should one be honest in witness. Be always careful not to
let your feelings about something become fact in your speech. Most
importantly, a Knight should always be Honest with himself and not let
excuses or wishes color one's beliefs.

/He ends his discussion of the virtues with the following:

T/hus I charge you to always hold your pride in check with humility, to
always seek honor over glory, and to always do honor unto your
Inspiration.  I have quoted Lull extensively throughout this article,
and I will leave you with one further quote. /

 "*/For honour is more worth than gold or syluer withoute ony comparyson/*."

I agree,

Ismet