[Ansteorra] Dog as an animal

Catrin ferch Maelgwn ladycatrin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 00:16:57 PDT 2010

Though they were not noted for it (to my knowledge) in the middle ages - I
must put in a word for the much maligned and misunderstood goose.  The goose
is a noble creature, a fierce protector of its family and a true example of
comradeship in nature.  When an injured goose can no longer keep up with the
flock, other geese will remain behind on the ground to protect it until it
dies or recovers, then help it to catch up with the flock, or start another
one together.

Animals may not be cognizant of the "honor" we ascribe to their behaviors,
but that certainly doesn't mean we can't learn from them.

Ants are another group that get overlooked as symbols of self-sacrifice -
they have been known to use their bodies as bridges to assist other ants
across a divide, and to join together in a living raft to protect their
colony from flooding.  Of course, they also engage in horrific acts of
kidnapping, torture, and cannibalism, and... um.

I like geese.

Ever helpfully,
Catrin