[Ansteorra] medieval people knowing the symobolism of animals

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 17 01:19:56 PDT 2010

Your Grace, the distinction is - perhaps - one of choosing a specific time, place, and purpose for the assignment of such symbology.  AND the wide variety of allegorical assignments stem from many and various sources...

The Fables, those of Aesop and others, make particular several associations.  Folk- and fairy- tales chose other assignments more in keeping with the times and places of their formulation, and meanings shifted over time.  The saga-singers had their own kennings yet again of course (Mikal Hrapsfa, thank you old Ram, wherever you are!)

The various Bestiaries and pass-alongs from antiquity (such as they were) represent yet another reservoir of meanings and sometimes full imagery (consider, for a single example, the monstrous beast known as the Yale... with the swiveling horns and distinctive diet [and no, MY memory does not currently recall the full specifics]).

Emma, and that scholarly fellow Danihel, both were speaking as much or more of the specifics as associated with the peculiar institutions of Heraldry.

There are times and places where I myself have the fortune, or misfortune, to have the need of blending all of the above in some sense or another.

As I have heard you do so many times, Senachie (and my apologies if I dinna quite have the spellynge for one of your place & stature, most gracious lady &c.)...

 Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen