[Ansteorra] represent honor in banners

rfknight2251 at aol.com rfknight2251 at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 04:48:15 PDT 2010

This must be the reason we see so little of Duke Lloyd! As the 7th Lion, and with a snake as part of his devise, he must be at constant odds with himself!
YIS
Lasguaard

Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] represent honor in banners

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Sandra Geil <alexsandraeryn at yahoo.com> wrote:
> though in heraldry the lion is for bravery...

Did you miss the couple of messages from yesterday, about how "X means
Y in heraldry" is in most cases false?
<http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/ansteorra-ansteorra.org/2010-April/069614.html>
<http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/ansteorra-ansteorra.org/2010-April/069616.html>
Note particularly Emma's note from Dennys's _The Heraldic Imagination_
about the "meaning" of "swan". That is part of an answer to Willow's
comment.

The Aberdeen Bestiary <http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/translat/7r.hti>
calls the lion the king of the beasts, and ascribes to it various
virtues and properties (that have only a vague relationship to real
lions). But I don't see anything specific about bravery, and in fact
it says "The lion fears the cock, especially the white one. King of
the beasts, it is tormented by the tiny sting of the scorpion and is
killed by the venom of the snake."

Danihel Lindum
-- Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com