[Ansteorra] need a statement describing honor

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Apr 18 13:42:13 PDT 2010

Honor is always doing right, even when no one is looking.

Honor being a uniquely human concept, perhaps a stylized portrayal of a knight would be a
better representation than an animal.

Padraig
The idea of a Knight is good. The Knight actually symbolizes most of  the virtues I am portraying. Of course that puts a lot of stress on our Knights. My standards are based on the "old corpora" which state we all should act in a "knightly and courteous way". I also go by the code of Chivalry because I believe all peers are equal and all peers should behave as a Knight.
It is too easy for artisan and servers to forget that we need to live up to the knightly virtues. I have one young Artist tell me that Artisans had their own code and no longer had to live to the code of Knighthood.
I felt very old and old fashioned. but then I asked her did that mean that artisan no longer believed in honor, courtesy, mercy etc.. She didn't answer  and for politeness sake I didn't push it. I have regretted not following up. She had something important to say and I need to learn what that was. I did myself no good by quieting her with rhetoric. I need to remember the lesson "listen first, argue latter."
I have learned that if you want to stay in the SCA you need to keep in touch with the ideals. The words used to describe them change. The ideas stay much the same but each new group in the SCA reinvents them with new terms. i fear that this has happened and I new to catch up.
willow de wisp
willow