[Ansteorra] Stargate/Loch results?

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Apr 19 11:20:34 PDT 2010

Daniel replied to Brian:

>> Don Robin of Gilwell, once named Star-Friend, is now the Stargate
>> Rapier Champion
>
>"Star-Friend"?

In the days of yore, when Ansteorra, the moon and the sun were still new, Stargate had a Baronial Champion tourney, in which each round was 2 out of 3, chivalric, rapier, and chess.  (Rounds were pretty long.  Fortunately, not many people would enter.)

The Baronial Champion was not the overall winner, but the highest placing person who lived in the Stargate.  The highest placing person who was not from the Stargate was named Star-friend.

I entered one year when there were 10 entrants, two of whom were from outside the barony.  After two rounds, three of us were left, one from the Stargate and two from outside.  So the champion was already determined, and Tivar and I fought, fenced and played the final round for the title of Star-friend, which I eventually won.

(Incidentally, Tivar had already won the title of Champion a year or two earlier, when he lived in the Stargate, and came back a year or two later to win Star-friend, the first person to win both.  I suspect that over a quarter of a century later, I am now only the second to win both.)

And this ends today's lesson in ancient history.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin