[Ansteorra] Powdered Ink?

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Tue Apr 20 22:26:48 PDT 2010

I've used the powdered ink from James Townsend (the link provided by
Polydore) and liked it.  You have to mix it to the right thickness for
your application.  Even with a corked inkwell, it just didn't write very
well after a few days.  I was messing with quill pens rather than
calligraphy pens though.  The quill from James Townsend isn't cut well
and wasn't hardened, so I view it as more decoration than writing
implement.  Even with hardening, I was only able to cut a good nib about
half the time at best.  A couple times I'd keep trying to cut a good nib
repeatedly, without success, until I had just a little feather stub that
was too short to use.  It seems that it takes a lot of practice to be
able to cut a quill pen, measured in hundreds of tries rather than dozens.

  Miles Grey