[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium files for August

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 01:05:10 PDT 2010

Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web version of this article, please email me. I've not been producing this version since it didn't seem anyone was using it, but if there is a desire for it, I can produce it again.

If you would like a quick and easy way to know when any files have been updated or a new file has been added to the Florilegium, then subscribe to the Florilegium RSS feed. Most of the modern browsers now support this feature. If you do use this service, I'd appreciate a quick email letting me know. It takes a fair amount of time to create these and I have no way of knowing whether this feature is being used or not.

Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. Unfortunately, the ad revenue has been falling, even though more files are getting added each month.  So if you enjoy the Florilegium and find it useful, please get in the habit of clicking on an ad each time you are there. It really makes a big difference in the ad income and thus the ability to keep the Florilegium site going. At around a half dozen ad clicks a day, that is barely enough to keep the site going.

Thanks,
Stefan

---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.

The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

     THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CRAFTS section:
   Intaglio-Gems-art   "Intaglio: Sculpture in Reverse (or: Hey! My
                          jewelry does impressions!)" by Lady Rekon of Saaremaa.
   Beg-Pwtr-Cast-art   "Soapstone Pewter Casting" by Baroness Giliana
                          Attewatyr, OL. (Beginning pewter casting)
In the CULTURES section:
   Persia-msg          History and culture of period Persia.
In the FOOD section:
   egg-whites-msg      What to do with extra egg whites.
   veg-hrb-juice-msg   Obtaining vegetable and herb juice.
In the FOOD-BREADS section:
   breadcrumbs-msg     Bread crumbs for use in recipes.
In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
   garlic-sauces-msg   Various period garlic sauces. Recipes.
In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
   carrots-msg         Medieval and period carrots. Colors.
In the NEWCOMERS section:
   Thrifty-Anach-art   "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by
                          Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for
                          inexpensive SCA clothing.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
   flower-waters-msg   Period flower waters. Making them. Recipes.

Here are some of the updated files for this month:
   comfits-msg         Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
   fd-France-msg       Food of medieval France. References.
   ice-chests-msg      Using ice chests at SCA events. Disguises.
   Italy-msg           Italian culture, families. Medieval P.o.I.
   p-kitchens-msg      Period kitchens and kitchen staff.
   rice-msg            Period rice. Recipes.
   root-veg-msg        Medieval and period root vegetables.
   sauces-msg          Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
   snails-msg          Eating of snails in period. Recipes.
   thickening-msg      Use of period food thickening agents.
   West-hist-msg       Histories of the West Kingdom.
---
Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>