[Ansteorra] camp meals

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 17:10:40 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 3:45 PM, Susan O'Neal wrote:

> The last option are the in camp meals.  We've had such mixed resultd
> with that I can't really give a general consencus about them.  It has
> a lot to do with the type of group we are camping with and they have
> been both wonderful and a waste of money that was chipped in on food I
> didn't eat.

One solution for events that are camping events but don't serve meals is to cook something ahead of time, seal it in a bag and then boil it onsite. I've heard a lot of good reports from people who do this, but since I just recently purchased a "seal a meal" I haven't tried it out yet.

This works especially well for a couple or a small group where folks are busy with other activities at an event and no one has time to cook. It doesn't take much time to fire up a stove, boil some water, drop in the bags and let them thaw and warm up. And there isn't much clean up needed.

For those who want medieval meals, this works just as well, as for those who just want modern foods. There are many period stews and bruits, soups, etc that should work well this way.

bag-cooking-msg (50K) 4/25/08 Using plastic bags to warm pre-cooked foods at SCA events. Vacuum food sealers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/bag-cooking-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com