[Ansteorra] camp meals

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 22:47:24 PDT 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 9:08 PM, Haraldr Bassi wrote:

> If anyone is interested in first hand experiences on this, please let me know. My household has been using this method for food at Pennsic for a decade or more. It makes meals ever so much easier. We have good period foods, like bruets, or pompes in sauces etc, with minimal cooking time on-site and minimal cleanup. Due to field conditions, we've settled on using one of two grains to serve under the wet food, either couscous or rice.

What is a "pompes"?

Did you pre-cook the rice and add it to the bag with the rest of the food and then boil them together at camp? Or did you use the boil-in-bag rice packaged in the little bags with the holes in them and boil them separate from the other bags and then put them on the eating plates separately?

> We've taken to using a similar method for our breakfasts making eggs. I understand that we've recently identified an Andalusian recipe titled "Eggs in a Jar", which uses a disposable glass bottle to cook eggs. Our method uses disposable freezer zipper seal bags, which is a wee bit less expensive and doesn't leave shards of glass in camp.

Could you please send me a copy of this Andalusian recipe and perhaps your redaction or post it here? Surprisingly, I don't remember ever discussing this recipe on the SCA-Cooks list, although I seem to remember some mention of cooking eggs in a plastic bag. Is this a regular plastic zip lock bag or one of the boil-in bags which tend to me made of different materials?

Thanks,
  Stefan