[Ansteorra] camp meals

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Thu Aug 19 06:48:37 PDT 2010

At the risk of sounding like an aluminum foil commercial we often make
meals, wrap them in foil, put them in a large zip lock and freeze them.
They act as part of the ice (along with the frozen water which we later
drink as it defrosts) that goes into the cooler.  The zip lock is to
keep any melting ice water from getting into the food.  When it's time
for dinner we just heat up the little propane stove and warm up the now
defrosting meal.  Depending on weather and how fast your frozen food
defrosts will determine how long it takes to heat up.   Use a good
quality foil or double wrap.  Not even a pot to dry with this method.
I've done this with East Indian food, steaks, any non liquid.  We also
love artichokes and will precook them in the microwave (takes less than
ten minutes) but don't freeze them.

I'd be interested in the Andalusian egg in a jar recipe as well.

I was at H.E. Gunthar's feast and it was wonderful,  proving even
limited kitchens can be used for feasts if the chef is creative.

Ismet