[Ansteorra] General event question

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Tue Aug 17 01:37:51 PDT 2010

Feasts are very important to me and have caused me to travel just to
attend the feast.  I agree with Eve that the best and most interesting
feasts are those that are period.  Period food can be delicious.  I also
enjoy the ones with what I consider the proper atmosphere--servers (and
I've seen some servers even provide a good degree of entertainment).  I
don't like cafeteria style in restaurants either.  Having the menu
published is essential to making a decision.  My husband is allergic to
poultry and I prefer to avoid pork.  Most of the feasts we attend have
enough variety in the courses that we both get more than enough to eat.
But we have seen menus where almost every course contains a form of one
of those items.  Although it is more work than most providers are
able/willing to do, I have most appreciated the few feasts where a
vegetarian option was provided (one Steppes' Twelfth Night had an
alternative for every course--that was impressive).  But I do not think
that all feasts should have to include that option.  That being said
every feast should contain some vegetables, even if it's just salad.

Taverns are wonderful for lunch and breakfast, but would be
disappointing for the evening meal in my opinion.  For wars the food
courts have had enough interesting choices that we don't bother bringing
our own food anymore.  It also saves the pain of doing dishes.  But then
wars are another matter.

It saddens me to hear more and more that groups (including where we
live) are finding it harder and harder to find places with adequate
kitchens.  So often I hear, "Well, we don't have to serve a feast."
This is true and I will probably attend a local event anyway.  But I
really feel disappointed and will probably not stay as long.  It is my
opinion that feasts are a very important part of the SCA.  When telling
outsiders of what we do, it is often the description of the feasting
that brings a light of interest to their eyes.

Feasts are a lot of work and require much time and energy both in
planning and at the event.  I would like to therefore extend my thanks
to all those that have worked so hard to make them possible.

Ismet