[Ansteorra] Can someone confirm/deny for me?

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Wed Aug 18 06:13:46 PDT 2010

I will repeat here what I found and forwarded to the Lady with the
original question.  Since this comes from a 'recently' updated site and
is Calontiri, I /assume/ the person running it has done the
research/contact to verify the statements that are posted there:

Found this site which states that the gentleman does indeed not want the
song written down:

http://calontir.info/artsci/songbooks/index.html

> Note: Many people have inquired about learning the words to a popular
> song "Born on the List Field". This song and some others were written
> by Master Ivar Battleskald. He has requested that these songs remain
> in the oral tradition and not be written down. Please respect his
> wishes in this matter. If you truly want to learn his works, find
> someone at an event who knows them. Feel free to contact Conrad
> <MAILTO:sauerm at missouri.edu> if you need help finding such people.

I /assume /the contact is for Master Ivar (whose last place of residence
I've found is the Barony of Forgotten Sea, Calontir).  The site was last
updated in January of 2010 so hopefully it's still current.  If "Conrad"
is not Master Ivar, I will gladly post to Calontirlist to see if the
Master, himself, will respond.  My husband seems to recall that at one
time on Calonlist when this subject was brought up it was determined
that one could write down the words long enough to learn them, but that
they should never perform from a written source or be included in a
'songbook', etc.  Personally, I would want to hear from Master Ivar
before doing so.  As to the recorded performance, I'm not sure how that
stands in the 'don't write down' request.  Is it a recording of a
performance or does it go against the tradition originally desired by
the composer?  I agree with His Majesty.  It is an interesting, but
different version than I remember hearing around the campfires.

Ismet