[Ansteorra] General event question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 16:59:05 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Steve Scott (Dietrich) wrote:

> My own personal preference for feast is to have it buffet style.  I invariably
> sit at the one table that the server forgets to bring enough to, or leaves off a
> course, or something.  I'd rather make my own choices from dishes that are
> sitting in warmers at the buffet table.  That way, I get enough of what I want,
> and it's still hot enough to be appetizing.  There is nothing worse than being
> served a dish that was supposed to be hot, but has become tepid, at best, by the
> time it gets to me.

I tend to prefer a medieval serving style, which buffet definitely isn't.  However, the way we usually serve feasts is a compromise between medieval serving and modern restaurants and can be better than buffet.  But either, and especially a true medieval style, is very labor intensive.

For those planning a feast there are various ways to make the serving go better. The biggest is to have a well-trained staff who know what the current situation in the kitchen is and know what will be served and when.

Just in case these might be of use:
feast-serving-msg (134K) 2/24/08 Ideas for serving feasts. How to organize.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feast-serving-msg.html

servng-drinks-msg (14K) 8/30/07 Serving drinks and beverages at SCA feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/servng-drinks-msg.html

serving-soups-msg (18K) 4/14/07 Serving soups at SCA feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/serving-soups-msg.html

Servng-Roylty-art (10K) 1/ 1/06 "When Royalty Graces Your Head Table" by Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Servng-Roylty-art.html

warming-ovens-msg (10K) 6/ 1/08 Using warming ovens for SCA feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/warming-ovens-msg.html

For folks who really want to dress up their feasts:
Handwashing-art (22K) 2/24/02 "Scented Handwaters For Feasts and Dayboards" by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com