[Ansteorra] camp meals

Steve Scott (Dietrich) dietrich.strobelbart at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 05:50:48 PDT 2010

If you really want to get adventurous, it is possible to boil eggs in just about
anything that will hold water.  In my (much) younger days as a Boy Scout, we
learned that you could, indeed boil eggs in a paper bag, or even a styrofoam
cup.  As long as the container holds water, the water will cool the container to
the point where it will not catch fire.  Just set it on a bed of coals where it
won't tip over.  Keep in mind that anything sticking up above the waterline will
burn.  The styrofoam cup actually shrank down a bit as the walls got thinner,
until the water inside cooled the walls below the melting point.  It made for a
very interesting demonstration of physics and survival techniques.  ;-)  I
imagine an animal stomach or other such bladder would work just as well.

I'm not sure I would try the above technique with a ziploc bag, however.  The
slightest pointy hot spot tends to put holes in the container, leading to damp
coals and a big mess!  ;-)

YIS,

Dietrichus Strobel mit dem Bart