[Ansteorra] Can someone confirm/deny for me?

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Aug 19 06:24:38 PDT 2010

(top-posted to keep my response near to that it relates to)

There were multiple notations employed, IIRC. I think I have at least
two moderately-thick books on medieval music notation. Certainly one
notation (rather late) used note heads and stems rather like those in
modern Western conventional notation, but with radically different
conventions as regards mensuration; there also were various forms of
neumes. I'm at work, and the books are at home, which means I need to
expand on this post once I'm within reach of the materials.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:42:58PM -0500, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
> Even music notation of the time was really a type of short-hand, and
> scholars are still debating what most of it means.
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Richard Culver <rbculver at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>
> > Actually Dark Ages is a bit of a historian bigotry, particularly when
> > matters shift away from Roman and/or Greek tradition.  The fact of the
> > matter is there was significant amount of writing and learning going on in
> > the so-called Dark Ages; it just was in places like Merovingian France,
> > Northumbria in English, Utrecht in the Netherlands, and other such places.

[remainder of L. Wihtri's post elided]

> > Gódspéde,
> > Wihtric

Fun thread! Thanks to all who contribute to it.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO