[Ansteorra] wax sculpture

Kristina Dombroski krysna at crystaldaggerclothing.com
Fri Dec 3 14:32:35 PST 2010

I'm trying to make something out of wax so I can make a mold around it and
cast it in pewter.  However, I tried beeswax, having read that it was soft,
as well as being available in period, and found it awful to work with.  It
was really hard and flaky, and I melted it, then when it was still warm, but
not solid, tried to sculpt it, using a hairdryer to warm it up when it
started to get too hard onthe outside.  But it kind of had a consistency
like mashed potatoes and broke apart really easily, and then I was unable to
get the pieces to melt back together.  So my question is, does anyone have
any experience with wax sculpture, and if so, could you tell me what kind of
wax I should be using or how I should be working with it?

Tangwystl verch Gruffydd