[Ansteorra] Advice to a new Baron and Baroness

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Dec 30 16:20:06 PST 2010

I have been the Seneschal to three B&Bs. One well established (and extremely
successful in my opinion) when I become Seneschal and one that started a bit
later. My successor had to step down to become the Baroness, so I stepped
back up for a short time.

There are many things I observed and probably just as many that I should
have noticed, but did not. But the most important in my opinion is "The
things the B&B pay attention to  thrive. The things they don't pay attention
to don't thrive." I've seen it happen again and again. And I've seen it
reversed by retargeting the B&B's efforts. You don't have to be the biggest
cheerleader for everything, but pay everything some attention. Visit a guild
meeting each month and make it a different one each time. Go to official
fighter practice as often as possible. Meet with event stewards several
times and look for problems (don't just ask "Is everything alright?"). Be at
the business meeting every month and participate actively. Watch for people
doing things right and complement them in public - in court if possible. In
short - pay attention.

In Service,
Caelin on Andrede

Baron
> and
> Baroness (B&B) in the landed Baronies of Ansteorra, and several more to
> come
> this season.  This job is probably the hardest office of the SCA, both for
it's
> length as well as it's depth.
>

> Many years ago, as I met Baron Edwin FitzLloyd of the Steppes, along a
> pathway
> at an event, I asked him how he was enjoying his retirement from Baron of
> Steppes which he had vacated some few months before.  After a pause,
> Edwin
> astutely said  "It is a pleasure that the opinions I give are from Edwin,
rather
> than the 'Baron of the Steppes'".   Wisely said.
>
> Some of you have held the post of B&B and may have many words of advice
> to a new
> B&B.   Many with years in the society, having supported your landed Baron
> and
> Baroness, may also have words of advice.  I've asked this question before
on
> this list and you can search the archives for responses, but I think it
bears
> repeating.
>

> The question:
> What advice, suggestions or counsel would you give to a new Baron and
> Baroness
> in order for them to find success in their new office?
>
> Or to those considering applying for the honor of holding the office of
Baron