[Ansteorra] Advice to a new Baron and Baroness

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Thu Dec 30 22:14:17 PST 2010

greetings to all from willow de wisp
Is it a game?
When I was a girl new to the sca my mentor Ulric of Wolfhaven said these words,"It is a game, but a very serious game."
I have played very hard for many years and since creating events is fun for me I enjoyed all of it. Around me many, many people also played. We were having a great time. then slowly people took offices and tried to make order  out of the chaos. They put in rules that we didn't like. Some of them were just and some were unjust and some were just plain stupid and they fought with each other and they fought over power spots and then they started interfering with our good time.
A young  Squire came to us and said you can't let other people do all the work and expect them to do it like you like it. Many of them are like dragons, they like to burn  cornfields and you are a bunch of stupid farmers who put dragons in charge and complain when they burn and roll in your cornfields. You don't give political and decision positions to people who enjoy them you need to give the positions to people who enjoy the game and will work to protect the people and the fun"
We the "players" became you first crowns and worked very hard because we understood that jobs that keep the sca going are not games. the referee on the field isn't playing. People who be upset if he played around and people got hurt.  Our Kings and Queens, Baron and Baroness, Officers of Kingdom and Local, Peers all have jobs to do to keep the people safe and having a good time in our SCA Communities. We are working so others can play.
Mistress Claryise is right what we do will not put money in our pockets and we need to husband ourselves and do what everyone who is in a position of responsibility in a church, team, volunteer or social group does to keep their heads straight.
It is very important to not overdo your work in the sca when it becomes a chore it is vital to step aside. If you burn out we lose you to the club and the community and that makes everyone sad.
willow de wisp