[Ansteorra] Anyone want to write a good article on court heraldry?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 13:47:31 PST 2010

Dankyn and Herr Detlef gave some good points on doing court heraldry, both in the limelight and behind the scenes.

I already have some good files in the HERALDRY section of the Florilegium on Field Heraldry and Voice Heraldry in general, but I would love to have some articles on how to present a good court or what needs to be done to prepare for a good court. It would be nice if it covered from small courts of a visiting baron to those of Royalty to perhaps the Grand Courts at Pennsic and Gulf Wars.

The Grand Court at Gulf Wars is *not* the time to drone on and on with AoAs and lower level awards as was done by a Meridian Crown at Gulf Wars some year ago. :-(

Thanks,
   Stefan

On Dec 31, 2010, at 2:54 PM, tmcd at panix.com wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Court ceremonies are the province of official (that is, appearing in
>> the kingdom Order of Precedence) awards and honors and of prizes for
>> the day's competitions.
>
> and other good advice.  There's one extra point I'd like to make.
>
> If you give an award, especially a baronial award ... has it been
> recorded appropriately?  Their charter (if it even exists) doesn't
> help anyone looking them up in a Roll of Precedence.  And things get
> lost: e.g., I can't find my Sable Crane charter *or* the nice bone
> medallion.
>
> The mottos of the SCA College of Arms are "Non scripta, non est" (If
> it's not in writing, it doesn't exist) and "Semper Litteris Mandate"
> (Always get it in writing).
<snip>

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com