[Ansteorra] GW camping in cold/hot weather tips

Tom Kyle tomkyle2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:59:38 PST 2010

Greetings,

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but when I lived in CAID I was a Senior
Constable  and posted safety advice for my Barony before each Estrella War.
Tent heaters were a common topic, especially after several people died one
year because they did not take proper precautions.  Following is a list I
developed over the years.  For the record, I have used a large tent heater
in several pavillions for years without incident.

TENT HEATERS
It can get cold at winter wars, and many of us choose to use a heater to
warm our tents.  However, in years past, people have been severely injured
and even killed by improperly using a tent heater.  Following are my annual
recommendations for staying warm AND alive:
1. Buy a heater with a thermocouple, a device which shuts off the gas if the
flame blows out.
2. Make sure your tent is well ventilated.
3. Use only in a canvas tent treated with flame retardant.
4. Keep all flamables away from the heater (hanging clothes, tapestries,
etc.)
5. Make sure the heater is stable and can't easily fall over.  Ours has a
plastic stand that makes it much more difficult to tip the tank over, even
intentionally.
6. Don't leave the heater unattended, including while you're asleep.  Use it
to warm the tent before going to bed, turn it off, then light it again when
you wake up, get back into bed, and get up and change once the tent warms
up.
7.  Don't mix alcohol and fire.  Make sure whoever is turning the heater on,
off and lighting it is sober.
8. Use common sense.
9. You might want to explore a new flameless heater I've seen advertised.  I
suspect it's a much safer alternative.

Yours in Service,
Lord Tomas mac Caoil