[Ansteorra] GW camping in cold/hot weather tips

Elizabeth Crouchet ecrouchet at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:11:05 PST 2010

Thanks for the tips about Estrella but we were speaking of Gulf Wars.

Most of the Gulf Wars site is very sandy loam, like much of east Texas, but
not as red.  It drains rapidly and well but by no means is it dry right
away. The roads have been packed with clay so they stay wet a long time.

The site is also not flat anywhere and this can help contribute to leaks. A
good tent set up properly on level ground rarely has issues.

 There is no level ground at Gulf Wars. There is always a little slope, some
hole or another or some such that keeps your tent poles and edges form being
perfectly level. This leads to leaks. Try to anticipate and deal with it.

 Sometimes all that is needed is a shim under a pole. This also applies to
camp tables and even beds! This is a good time to use up all those little
scraps of wood hanging out in the garage.

Cross stake or double stake the corners that take the most stress. And wind
wires are a good idea. You might only need them once while you are there but
you will be glad you had them.

Layer everything. Your day clothes, your night clothes, your bedding, your
rain clothes, even your food. Calorie counts on one day may be more or less
than on another.

And if you are layering. Take a shower around dinner time and put on fresh
clothes. Start the evening fresh and go party.  These will be the clothes
you wear all day tomorrow. Still doing double duty with the clothes, just a
matter of when you wear what layer first. Outer layers can be reworn many
times in one week. It is a perfeclty preiod concept to just change your
under layers, just add a shower to that.

Claire

PS: you know, all of this should be colated into a book or .pdf article. Any
volunteers?