[Ansteorra] Tent Heaters

Alianorra MacAiodh alianorramacaiodh at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 19:20:28 PST 2010

Im sure I will catch grief for this....

Bordermarch Autumn Melees three years ago, I had a "tent safe" heater still start a fire. We were in my tent and the heater was on a flat level surface pointed towards me and it STILL caught my Sisters bed on fire. Luckily for her the smoke first woke her up and she woke up me. But we were still dragging burning bedding out into the rain in what we sleep in. The heater sat in the rain in effigy the rest of the event. We both still have scars from the fire, although my sisters are worse than mine.

Im a Huge fan of having a heater. However the only tent safe heater I know of is the HeaterBuddy. They will cost you over $100.00 and can be found in many places. Take the time to spend the money if you are going to purchase a heater for your camping gear. I had not done so at the time. I owned the cheapest "tent safe" heater I could find at the time. I no longer make that mistake. Also if you are going to have a heater make sure you keep all synthetic fibers away from it. The night of the fire all of my sisters bedding was synthetic, I sleep with cotton and wool. We think that is part of the reason her bed caught fire and mine did not.

Just tossing my personal experience out there so others will not make the same mistake I did.

Good luck staying warm.

Alianorra