[Ansteorra] Feeding yourselves with out living in a kitchen at war

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 3 00:14:17 PST 2010

Baroness Claire posted a good article on using plastic bags to freeze
and cook food in which is especially useful for a camp where most of
the group is involved in other activities.

I'm not sure if she is specifically talking about using the commercial
boil-in bags and vacuum sealers or not. I've been told that you can
use regular plastic bags for this, although I'd not tried it.

For a number of years, before being welcomed to join a food group, my
lady wife prepared various soups at home and we froze them and then
simply warmed them up on the propane stove. This was before I learned
about boiling the food in the bag, so I don't have any direct
experience in doing that. But that would seem to minimize the pots
that need to be cleaned.

If you wish to keep in the spirit of the event and cook period foods,
you can find a lot of stews and other similar dishes which will work
well using this method as well as modern foods.

This use of plastic bags, both boil-in and otherwise, has been
discussed a fair amount on the SCA-Cooks list. Here is a file in the
FOOD section of the Florilegium that folks interested in trying these
techniques might be interested in.

bag-cooking-msg   (50K)  4/25/08  Using plastic bags to warm pre-
cooked foods
                                      at SCA events. Vacuum food
sealers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/bag-cooking-msg.html

Thanks,
    Stefan

On Feb 3, 2010, at 1:37 AM, Elizabeth Crouchet wrote:

> Some people like to cook, some people like to cook at camping
> events. These
> are not always the same people.
>
> Here is how to cook for yourself and not have lots of clean up/prep
> at war.
>
> Make your food ahead of time, freeze it solid, seal in a bag and
> take to war
> in ice chest. Thaw until hot in boiling water in a large pot. Serve
> on paper
> plates with real utensils and use real mugs for coffee etc.

<snip>

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com