[Ansteorra] GW camping in cold/hot weather tips

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 13:27:10 PST 2010

Greetings,
With Gulf Wars looming on the horizon in a month, I thought I'd post a few questions about camping in very cold/hot and perhaps wet weather, and hopefully get some answers from folks to prepare those on our list for whom this is their first war:

1)  Garb:  recommendations on fibers, layers, under/outerwear, headgear, footgear?

2)  Tents:  recommendations on rain protections, ground preparations?

3)  Bedding:  ground/above-ground beds, bed clothes (blankets, sheets, furs)?

4)  Cooking/firepit safety:  emergency fire extinquishers, ground preparations, wood to use?

5)  Heaters in tents:  proper use of tent heaters, venting, carbon monixide poisoning issues?

6)  Health issues:  Hyperthermia, overheating issues,  insect prevention and treatment?
Irritant plants presention and treatment (poison ivy/oak)?

Anything else forgotten that might be good to share with newcomers preparing for their first camping?

Here are a few links that might help in your preparations from a variety of great SCA war websites:
http://www.gulfwars.org/rules.html
http://www.gulfwars.org/faq.html

Camping ideas from other great wars, these may not apply to Gulf Wars:
http://www.estrellawar.org/Portals/EstrellaWar/articles/PACK-LST.pdf
http://www.estrellawar.org/PreparingToAttend/Weather.aspx
http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn39/GENERAL/pack.html
http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn39/GENERAL/guide.html