[Ansteorra] GW camping in cold/hot weather tips

Lady Eithne eithnethehealer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:47:01 PST 2010

>From one who has been to a few GWs,

Linen is the best fiber for garb, it is not too hot in summer nor too cold
in winter.

I cannot afford 14 gowns for a week at war. So except for a couple of Feast
nights, The dress I wear during the day is my underdress every evening.
For GW, wool overdresses are great for evening and you can comfortably be
out in the cool of the evening.(the wool overdress can be short to save
on costs and it's appropriate to my period.) Then add your cloak for
comfort.

Another way to dress up the gown you wore during the day and stay warm is to
make one or two cotes.
Make a simple tunic, long, split down the middle add, soutache braid around
the edge, add a cloak pin to close and you are set.

Ice is brought around to each camp at least 4 x a day.

Don't forget to get the heaters that shut off if the carbon monoxide level
goes up.

Wood is usually available free on site, if there is wood laying around we do
the landowner  a favor by burning it.

Some years we have downpours, so bring parkas to be able to work in the
rain.

Speaking of rain, we would all love to have period storage, but use plastic
tubs to assure drying garb or keep your garb in plastic bags.

The most important advice, keep a set of mundanes in your car in case you
somehow have wet clothes.

In Service to the House, the Shire & the Kingdom, and to the Pursuit of True
Honor,
Lady Eithne ingen meic Cináeda
GrandeDamme FalconRose Keep at Loch Callendre,
Kingdom of Ansteorra, SCA