[Ansteorra] GW camping in cold/hot weather tips

Miss M Brow starstruck503 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:48:43 PST 2010

A few things to take into consideration for those going to Gulf Wars, or any camping where the nights are cold.  I learned my lessons at Pennsic- one year there was frost on the ground a few times in the morning.

1)  Wool not only will keep you warm, but it will keep you warm when it is wet.  It is always a good idea to have some woolen items to help you conserve body heat.  If you are allergic, make it an outer layer so it doesn't touch your skin and you *should* be ok.  I can't sleep with any fuzzy stuff near my face, so I use a sheet and fold it over the top edge of my blankets.

2)  You lose a good deal of body heat through your head, so have a nightcap to wear.

3) Speaking of nightcaps, alcohol will make you feel warmer, but it has the effect of dilating the blood vessels so more of your precious internal heat will make it to the surface of your skin and be lost.  I'm not saying "don't drink," just make sure you are extra-bundled on the nights you do drink, because you won't feel the damage.  Wearing socks and gloves to bed helps keep the extremities warmer too, or at least have the gloves nearby or better yet in the bed with you  in case you need to reach out of your nest for anything.

4)  Sleeping off the ground might keep you dry, but if air can circulate under you then you are losing body heat in all directions.  If you put your bed on the ground, make sure you have plenty of insulation between an air mattress and the ground.

Rua, Pennsic veteran (still a GW virgin)