[Ansteorra] The Tudors' Accuracy

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Tue Feb 2 17:24:40 PST 2010

I think that a lot of the source material for The Tudors comes from Henry VIII:
The King and His Court by Allison Weir.  I believe that there is a discussion
somewhere in that book of the Master of the Revels and the pageants that he put on, as
well as of the Field of Cloth of Gold.  I have found that, fun as it is, The Tudors
does depart from Allison Weir on occasion.  For example, she says clearly
that Henry VIII did not compose "Greensleeves." although he does in the show.
Also, she did not cite any evidence that Cardinal Woolsey killed himself; he was ill
and died on the road as he was being taken to London and, presumably, The Tower.
I find it rather hard to believe that a church cardinal, even Woolsey who was very
secular in his lifetime, would commit suicide knowing what the church's position
would have been on it.  If anyone out there has evidence to the contrary about
Woolsey I would love to know, because this is the one presumed inaccuracy
in the series that bugs me the most.  Otherwise, I love it anyway, and now
you know what I do when I'm doing laundry.

Christianna