[Ansteorra] It was me. (was Shenanigans)

Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Wed Feb 17 07:38:23 PST 2010

Armand here...taking dictation from Mistress Ameline....

Five years ago, I (Ameline) made a sheep-to-shawl Viking apron. Spun, dyed,
wove and sewed with trim also made from that hand-made yarn. In keeping with
the scale of the project, I was also judged on the finishing of the wool
used in the project. I was knocked off a perfect score of 50 down to a 48
for not finishing my wool in a period manner...completely appropriate, IMO.
There were 4 or 5 techniques mentioned that I could have used. I only
remember the one about "Urine" because I remarked to others as I read the
commentary, "They can HAVE those 2 points! ":-)

I thought the judge was fair and had a valid argument to support their
position, because I had put it in my washing machine, after having spent so
much time on the earlier stages of the project. I was tired and time was
running short and I needed to finish the garment. This is a "Yes, but.."
argument. I don't play "Yes, but" because the judge's point was valid. I
took a shortcut. When I put something out to be judged, I am happy with what
I have done. I am displaying for others to see how to do things and to
educate myself, because I think it's fun. I only worry about my scores when
they might affect the kingdom's Champion War Point. Unfortunately, that was
the case in this instance. (They can still *have* those 2 points, cause I
was tired... And it was funny and makes for a good story. And it IS true!)

The next year, at the Kingdom A&S Champion War Point competition, in my
Viking Bead Kiln project, I used actual horse dung! I did NOT get counted
off for period materials on that one. :-)

So sheath your blades, the judges strive hard to be fair and they have a
tuff job. Let's all just have fun displaying, learning and not getting too
wrapped-around-the-axel over the results. Fighters call their own blows. In
A&S, others call your blows for you, so it can feel more judgmental
sometimes. But if YOU like your stuff, and have fun doing it, maybe learning
something along the way, isn't that all that really matters?

Humbly put forth, by one whose been judged at the Championship level for the
last 10 years, (as well as a judge for the last 5),

Mistress Ameline du Bois, OL