[Ansteorra] Shenanigans II: Electric Boogaloo

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 17 19:54:16 PST 2010

> I have never heard of a Laurel insisting that something be done in a
> way that is not only gross, but unhygienic & possibly one of the
> reasons why the the life spans were so short.
>
> Gabriele

I'd like to see your evidence for each of your three statements above.

1) the use of urine is "gross"
2) the use of urine is unhygienic
3) it had any effect on the general life spans in the Middle Ages
4) that the life spans in the Middle Ages in general were actually
that much shorter, than say the early 20th century. Perhaps this
depends on your definition of "shorter".

My own opinions are:
1) Not really. Urine can be a useful chemical
2) I don't see any reason that it using it today has to be.
3) Only a few tradesman used urine or it's byproducts and one reason
they were zoned to be outside of town or in certain quarters was the
smell, not necessarily the hygiene. We do have the statistics on
certain trades being dangerous such as those dealing with lead or
mercury. Which industries using urine or urine byproducts do you see a
high fatality in?
4) Life span numbers are often misunderstood. The high mortality rate
brings down the overall mortality. But if you take the numbers from
say late childhood on, you can often see that they aren't that much
lower than the early 20th century, although they do differ over the
centuries. People did live into their 40s, 50s and 60s in the Middle
Ages. So I'm not sure where you get the "so short".

This does get difficult because you can find exceptions to almost any
blanket statement about the Middle Ages and/or the cultures covered by
the SCA.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com