[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 18 09:39:33 PST 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Doug Copley <doug.copley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want to equate us to a bar but, it is a perfect analogy. I
> think that we should always state it as a "Temporary Membership Fee"
> and when people ask about it we can tell them that it is for
> insurance requirements.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen to be the case.  SCA budgets are at
<http://www.sca.org/officers/treasurer/2009budget.html>
(with comparisons over 10 years).  Insurance coverage is a little less
than 15% of the budget.

Further, do realize that the insurance does not cover SCA attendees.
The SCA Inc. insurance covers SCA Inc. and its officers, and since
it's liability insurance, it indirectly covers site property owners
from damages due to the SCA.  It's explained in
<http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/SocSenHandbook-200510.pdf>

The biggest expenses (rounded to nearest), as categorized by that
budget:

21%  Salaries for SCA employees
20%  Kingdom newsletters
17%  Corporate office expenses
15%  Insurance to cover the SCA Inc. as aforesaid

No other category is over 10%.

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com