[Ansteorra] Starting a new thread regarding the demo aspect, and gaining new members - a "Foreign" viewpoint

William Arwemakere arwemakere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:00:12 PST 2010

Greetings all,

Up here in the far north, we have two yearly events that are officially
public demos. Most of our demo's tend to be at schools, or smallish events
where maybe 15 - 20 SCA members show off what it is we do. These two events
are very different.

Ursulmas, held in late January (to celebrate the mythical St Ursul, the
bear) is the largest prize-tourney in An Tir. I'll not claim it's larger
than anything around, as I don't have stats to back the boast. This year as
had an SCA attendance of 1300 people, and thousands of moderns came to check
us out. (For note, the Heavy (chivalric) tourney had 162 fighters in the
list).

June Faire, held the first weekend in June nearly takes over a small town
overlooking the ocean west of Seattle. We use the large grass fields in town
(
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=port+gamble+wa&sll=49.122239,-122.733507&sspn=0.007962,0.024719&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Port+Gamble,+Kitsap,+Washington,+United+States&ll=47.854494,-122.585825&spn=0.004082,0.01236&t=h&z=17
 )

Camping attendance can be as high as 2500 people, and over 10 000 moderns
come visit.

Both of these local Baronies have a large upswelling of people at the events
that follow. The focus of the events is to showcase as many aspects of the
SCA as possible. Of course the fighting gets the most attention, but there
are always excellent A&S displays and pomp and ceremony to let the people
know it's not just a bunch of fighters hitting each other. Show them the
"big show" then bring them to teh smaller newcomers events to help thm get
on their feet.

Does Ansteorra have any large, public-friendly events like this?

HL William Arwemakere
Kingdom Protector, An Tir
Archery Champion, Barony of Bordermarch, Ansteorra