[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Thu Feb 18 23:01:05 PST 2010

I really fail to see the difference between a non-member surcharge, and
a member discount.  Either way, it's $5 I don't have to pay if I'm a
member, or that I do have to pay if I'm a non-member.  The only
difference I see is a matter of semantics in the same vein as a glass
that is half empty or half full.  There's the same amount of liquid
either way.

As to why it makes a difference to me is purely a matter of perception
to our new members who are just trying us out.  One phrasing has more
positive connotations, the other has more negative connotations.  Given
that the same money is collected, the same way, from the same people.  I
would prefer to use a phrase that may be more welcoming to new people.

The question can also be asked, what harm is there calling it a member
discount?  I don't have to like NMS (in fact I don't), but since I can't
avoid it, I would still rather use the most inviting terminology I can
towards newcomers.

Baron Donnchadh