[Ansteorra] Non-Member Surcharge

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Fri Feb 19 10:02:26 PST 2010

Rose wrote:

> I wonder, though, why we have the surcharge WHERE we have it.

Because a prime purpose of the NMS is to convince people to buy corporate memberships.  So it has to be a tax on all non-members taking part, and the only place to do that is where they enter the event.

> Corporate REALLY wants us to have newcomers.
> Corporate REALLY wants/needs more money.

> It seems like the NMS fee for non-members is a battle between the two.

Yup.  I suspect that the NMS reduces the number of new people taking part, while getting the others to pay a fee to the corporation.  If so, establishing it produces an immediate influx of income (which it did), followed by a long slow reduction in our membership (which is unprovable, even if it happened).  It's clearly bad for the re-creation game.  In the long term, I think it's also bad for the corporation, but eliminating it would represent an immediate loss of income for them, and won't happen.

> Is there not a different place altogether where we can
> put a surcharge? Maybe $1 per entry, per tournament, for fighters? *ducks and runs*

Don't duck and run.  Instead, stop and think.

The goal is to convince people to buy memberships, and to get some money out of those who don't.  So it must be charged to all non-members who attend events.

(It goes back to the silly idea that people who make costumes and armor, teach classes, clean up after events, pay site fees to pay for sites, volunteer at demos, etc., are somehow not doing their fair share if they don't also buy a newsletter from a California corporation.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin