[Ansteorra] Non-Member Surcharge

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 11:19:36 PST 2010

I respectfully reject the idea that "discount" or "surcharge" is all a matter of perspective.

Corporate defined the Non-Member Surcharge in 2003. It is there in black and white. Most of us call it "charging non-members extra" because that's what it is.

You can paint a skunk white and it's still a skunk, especially when our noses already know the difference. Jedi mind-tricks only work in the movies and "Truth from a certain point of view" only works when we don't all already know the truth.

I think folks can decide to spraypaint the NMS silver and call it anything they want. I hope they only do this if they really believe that non-members should pay higher site fees to do their part to support the corporate office. Because that's what it is.

What I'm finding enlightening about this discussion is the idea that so many people think charging newcomers/non-members an extra $5 is a bad idea, and yet they are willing to redefine it and sell it down the river. I understand not wanting to drive off newcomers, but repackaging a bad idea does not suddenly make it a good idea.

Repackaging corporate ideas so corporate doesn't suffer the negative consequences of their choices is not high on my priority list. If their idea is good, then it will stand on its own. If it isn't, well, they need to know that too.

~ Kat M.