[Ansteorra] Corporate Structure (was Non-Member Surcharge)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Feb 19 13:18:52 PST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair
<donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:
> On 2/19/2010 2:21 PM, Jay Rudin wrote:
>> I want Ansteorra to own the Ansteorran crowns and thrones.
>
> Would that require Ansteorra to be its own corporation?

I think so.  Otherwise, my impression of property law is that the only
alternative is for them to be owned by some person or people, which
would have more undesirable possibilities.

However, the SCA Inc. Board does not allow subordinate corporations
except where required by law, and allows them only the least autonomy
required by law.  For example, to avoid filing Illinois taxes as a
foreign corporation, the SCA recently formed SCA Illinois Inc.
However, it's a wholly-owned subsidiary, its corporate documents are
the same as the parent SCA Inc, the board of directors is the same, it
has no game-side impact, et cetera.  I think Australian, New Zealand,
and Scandinavian law require their local SCA Incs to have their own
boards, but they're still tied closely to the parents (SCA Corpora
applies to SCA Australia, for example).

Trivia: Ansteorra Inc. was formed in 1994, during the Milpitas
Meltdown, in case Ansteorra wanted to secede from the SCA, which
seemed not unlikely under the conditions then.  But it's not used for
anything that I know of.  Googling suggests that it still exists, so I
assume the kingdom has been paying $20 a year or whatever to keep it
in its nominal state of existence.

Danielis Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com