[Ansteorra] Drawing in Members...

Elizabeth Crouchet ecrouchet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:20:29 PST 2010

Story time:

When I was in the 5th grade I got a magazine for young minds called
"Dynamite" . One month the centerfold of the magazine showed the front line
of the Pensic war just before a battle.

I was hooked. These people didn't just study history, they DID it!

I showed it to my mom, she said something like " That sounds like something
you would really like, maybe you can find then when you get to college."

That was the end of it at the time. I forgot the name of the organization.
But one night, early in my sophomore year I ran into some people on the
elevator in the Student Union building and they were discussion what could
only be that medieval war in Pennsylvania. I spoke up and I was in like
Flynn. Not 4 days later I was in a borrowed t-tunic dress at the Texas
Rennaisance Festival and camping with the SCA in the evenings. That was soon
followed by a dance practice and  the rest is a very long history of
participation.

I ordered that magazine for 3 years and I don't remember any other articles
at all. (Sometime ask me about my mom's reaction when I told her I had found
them.)

Somewhere in there just has to be a lesson on recruiting and retention.

Claire